Administrators often have to consider what should happen to personal possessions, especially if the protected person moves from their home to somewhere smaller, like a care facility.

It is important you try and fulfil the protected person's current or previously expressed wishes.

You should think about their Will and consult with other family members as they may be aware of the protected person's wishes, particularly about items of sentimental value.

Sentimental items

You need to make sure that wherever the protected person is living, they have some items of sentimental value. This might include a favourite chair and family photographs.

Items of substantial value - for example a valuable coin collection - should be stored somewhere safe like a safety deposit box or vault at a bank (this will incur fees).

Family members might also choose to look after valuable items. This is suitable unless the protected person's Will makes special provision for distributing these items.

Disposing of assets

Furniture and valuable assets may need to be sold and the money used to meet the protected person's current needs.

For example, the protected person doesn't have enough money to purchase a piece of equipment (like a walker or scooter). You believe selling a piece of their antique furniture would provide enough money to buy this equipment.

The protected person's needs must always be your priority.

You must report the disposal of any assets to the Public Trustee in the annual statement of accounts, along with an explanation of why you made this decision.