Accommodation can be a sensitive issue and options need to be reviewed carefully.

There are also limits on how much you can spend on accommodation. You need to seek approval from SACAT to go over these limits.

Potential accommodation options

The personal circumstances and financial resources of the protected person will determine the best option for their accommodation.

If a guardian has been appointed, you will need to work with them to determine what is in the best interests of the protected person.

For most people, staying in their own home and living as independently as possible is ideal.

Assistance is available with home maintenance, such as changing light bulbs or mowing the lawn, grocery shopping and gardening.

The protected person might also need aids and equipment, like a walking frame to help them get around the house safely and easily.

Hiring a carer

A paid carer can also help with domestic tasks and personal care.

Hiring carers should be done through a commercial carer agency that takes responsibility for paying leave entitlements, workers' compensation insurance, superannuation, income tax and related expenses.

All carers should provide a national police certificate to ensure they have not been convicted of any crimes that would put the protected person at risk of physical or financial abuse.

Protected people are often eligible for public housing through Housing SA.

There can be long waiting lists for public housing, but having a disability or medical problem may give the protected person a priority.

Visit SA.GOV or Housing SA for more information.

Boarding houses are also known as 'rooming houses' or 'lodging houses'.

A boarding house is where rent is collected for a single private room, while other facilities - such a kitchen, toilet and living areas - may be shared.

Meals and other services such as laundry may or may not be included.

Visit SA.GOV to find out more.

Community housing offers long term secure housing, opportunities to be involved in the community, the potential to make new friends and the opportunity to self-manage as much as possible while receiving support from the community.

Housing associations provide housing for low income households, the majority of whom receive government benefits as their main source of income.

Visit SA.GOV for more.

Supported Residential Facilities (SRFs) provide accommodation and care services to older people with disabilities in a group setting.

These are forms of specialised accommodation available for older people who are capable of independent living but require some assistance with day to day tasks.

  • Self-contained self-care units in retirement villages - similar to other home units, they are located in a village environment with communal facilities. They are designed for people who need little to no assistance with daily living. Residents do not have to worry about ongoing maintenance as this is taken care of by the retirement village management.
  • Hostels and serviced apartments - for people who do not need to be in a nursing home but do require some assistance with daily domestic tasks such as cooking, bathing or dressing. The accommodation usually consists of a 'bed sit' room with an ensuite bathroom, with various services and meals provided by the management.

It is essential that you, as financial administrator, are fully aware of any terms and conditions.

You should seek independent legal advice before considering any forms of retirement village or hostel accommodation.

Visit SA.GOV for more.

Residential care services provide accommodation and support for people who can no longer live at home.

Staff at aged care homes can help with:

  • day-to-day tasks (cleaning, cooking, laundry)
  • personal care (dressing, grooming, going to the toilet)
  • or 24-hour nursing care.